Thursday, January 23, 2014

2013 Travel Log

Full disclosure, this is long, and probably doesn't interest you.

So I didn’t do a whole lot of blogging during our time in Florida. I didn’t want to be one of those over-sharers (even though I kinda was on facebook/twitter).  I’m not going to give a recap on the Florida trip here so much, but a general summary of all of our adventures and travels in 2013.

So here are a list of the places we (or I) spent some time this year (places out of the ordinary anyways, so no St. George or Provo references).

San Diego for New Years, and all the cities that require getting there and back.

We went to Jerusalem (I went for a week, Jocelyn went for two).  So to get there I went from SLC to Houston to Newark to Tel Aviv (the airport in Israel).  While in Israel we went to a bunch of awesome places, but I won’t go into detail here. Suffice it to say there was lots of travel over there.  On the way back we flew through Newark again and then Denver, and back to SLC. I was originally supposed to go through Toronto on my way to Tel Aviv, but there were some delays and plane problems, so I went to Newark instead.  Kinda, bummed, but oh well.

So shortly after I got back, I flew out to Baltimore with EY.  I went through Minnesota to get there, so that was somewhere new for me.  I was out there for a couple of days, and then flew back (pretty sure that was direct to SLC).

I got back from that trip on Friday (I think) and then that next Sunday, I flew down to Orange County California also with EY. That was a few days as well.  Once I got home from that trip (that was a very busy 2 weeks) we didn’t have any travels for a while.

Once August rolled around, we packed up and moved out to Florida. We stopped in Nebraska, Maryland, and North Carolina along the way. While in Florida, we didn’t travel to far from the Orlando area (no Miami) except for the one time I went to the Rays/Red Sox game.

Once it came time to leave, we went from Orlando, to Louisiana, New Mexico, and then to St. George.  We also went to San Diego for Christmas, and then from there back to Utah.

What I learned, I can go work for Disney, spend 4 months surrounded by it, and still be upset I was in Southern California three times this year and didn’t go to Disneyland.  I feel like I have my priorities right. 
So now I will give you a big long list of the major interstates we drove on, and the major cities we drove through/visited.

I-4 (Florida)
I-5(California)
I-8(California)
I-10(Florida, Alabama, Mississippi)
I-15(Utah, Nevada, California)
I-20(Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas)
I-30(Texas – Very brief time on this highway)
I-35(Texas – Very brief time on this highway)

I bring you a break in interstates to rant about Texas. We drove through lots of small roads and cities on Texas…I kinda hate Texas for how much time I had to spend there. Back to your boring list of interstates.

I-40(Texas, New Mexico, Arizona – we spent a lot of time on I-40 because I didn’t want to take any smaller roads after Texas)
I-70(Pennsylvania, Maryland)
I-75(Florida)
I-80(Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana [at some point this was also I-90], Ohio,
I-95(Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida)

Now, in more or less the order that we drove through (or close enough that I’ll count) them, here are a list of cities that I think are important enough to be on this list.  There will be random paragraphs…only for the white space.

Lincoln, Omaha (oh Peyton Manning), Des Moines, Chicago, South Bend, Toledo (only included because BYU used to play them so often), not really but kinda Cleveland, and same with Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Washington DC.  Richmond, Raleigh, Durham, Some other St. George (but not as cool), Savannah, Jacksonville, Daytona, Orlando, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Gainesville, Tallahasee. 

Mobile, Hattiesburg (home of Brett Favre) Jackson, Monroe (that made me happy happy happy), Dallas (very not happy), Amarillo (the first big town we had seen since Dallas…which was like 9 hours earlier), Albuquerque (no walter white though).  Side note, if you made it this far, I’m sorry, but my real side note is we drove through 3 areas where 3 of the biggest TV shows of the last year are filmed. South GA (walking dead), Monroe LA (duck dynasty), and Albuquerque (breaking bad). I feel kinda awesome…more so than usual that is.  Anyways, here is the home stretch.

Flagstaff, some of the Grand Canyon, St. George (other than coming home from my mission, I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited to see St. George…and get out of a car), Las Vegas, a bunch of California, which led to San Diego, and then Imperial Beach…from there we actually saw Tijuana.  We brought our passports, but never actually went through.  Kinda a bummer.


And now I’m in Provo, delaying homework.  It’s due tomorrow night, so I don’t feel too bad at the moment, but still. Anyways, if I can put homework off, I will. I will try and blog more, but no promises.  After this the 3 of you that read this are probably ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment