First, a recap of this weeks games, followed by some Game of Thrones comparisons. So potential spoiler warning, though if there is a Venn Diagram of people who will read this and watch game of thrones, there is a very small middle section. But, there is one picture of some fun/bad photoshop, and the title is a key of who it will be. Also, I am not implying any incestual relationships between anyone in the league, even if it may happen in game of thrones. I don't want to hear jokes about that later on -- though no one else in my league watches the show as far as I know.
Brady has won yet again and basically got a spot in the playoffs. Even if he has the worlds worst drop off and doesn't win another game, our league has a history of teams with a record of 6-7 making the playoffs. Odds are good he can win 2 of the next 7 though and guarantee a spot. This will be only the second time in the modern era that Brady makes the playoffs.
We had two nailbiters with Matt taking down TJ by 1.48, and Geoff beating Kyle by 3.98. I suppose a stat correction could happen, but it's not likely. Matt came from behind and got the win on a 53-yard Mariota TD pass. Had Mariota thrown for 38 fewer yards, TJ would have won. As a Titans fan, I loved the play. From a fantasy standpoint, I feel bad for TJ -- he lost last week by fewer than 7 points, and the week before that by .2. I think we know how he does so well at his losing weight challenge -- fantasy football makes him angry, and then he angry exercises all the calories away all week. Maybe losing in fantasy football will help you in the long term TJ?
In the battle of 1-4 teams. Kyle tried his best to come back against Geoff, but with only 4.7 from his combined Colts tonight, he couldn't pull it off. The strange part is over 5 weeks (not including this week's games) Kyle has outscored Geoff by 200 points, or an average of 40 points per week. Kyle has some of the worst luck I have ever seen.
Speaking of Geoff winning, the teams from the North division are now 11-1 in non-division games. The only non-division team to beat a team from the North is Ren. It will be interesting come playoff time to see if the 3 times.
The only other game that was potentially interesting tonight was my game with Tyler, but my kicker had the game of his life, and Demarco Murray had his second best game all season and I ended up winning this one -- but really it only happened because Tyler looks to have lost Aaron Rodger for the season. As someone who is on the edge of the playoff race (assuming he doesn't win the division), this was a bad week for Tyler. His whole division lost today though, so he will still be in first place in his division at 3-3.
Now for the game of thrones part. I will compare teams/owners to characters from game of thrones, starting with Brady. If I knew photoshop better and had the patience, maybe I would do this for all of the teams, but this whole idea came about because of Brady being the best team in the North division.
Brady = Jon Snow:
- King in the North
- Dark Hair
- Was in the shadows early on importance to Westeros/The League (Jon is a bastard, and was never going to inherit land or titles, and Brady didn't win a lot before this season)
- I didn't say these were great comparisons.
Skyler = Sansa Stark:
- Red-Headed cousin of the previously mentioned person.
- Jealous of said cousin's success.
- Known to make some head-shaking dumb decisions.
Sticking with the North Division being Starks
Chad = Aria Stark:
- Is an effective killer, but personal arc hasn't had a huge impact on westeros as a whole (Chad just can't win the league/get his name on the trophy even though he is consistently great)
- I didn't say I would be nice in these comparisons.
Geoff = Rob Stark:
- The first person to have the title of "King in the North" (First championship winner in modern era)
- Died shortly thereafter (hasn't done a whole lot since).
Matt = Cersei Lannister:
- Currently rules the land (has the trophy).
- Kind of ruled through someone else in the past (won the trophy for Jordan's team).
Kyle = Warlocks of Qarth:
- All flash (scores a ton of points), but no substance (worst record in the league)
TJ = Daenerys Targaryen:
- Looks like about to break through, but loses some heartbreakers at the last moment (she loses one of her dragons and the iron fleet, TJ loses in the 4th quarters of Monday Night Football).
Ren = The White Walkers:
- A legend that has existed for a long while (had a few great years, and has picked some great sleepers) but no one really believes it's out there anymore -- until it's too late.
- Really good at mindless tasks like marching through the snow (sitting at a computer coding -- which I know isn't mindless, but I needed to put a second line here since I didn't on the last two).
Jordan = Tormund Giantsbane:
- Tall Readhead
- Physically gifted (you've seen Jordan play basketball right?)
- Struggles with White Walkers (not exactly true in the show, but Jordan has only beat Ren twice in the regular season, so it works here)
Trevor = Gendry:
- You hear from him once and a while, but is mostly rowing out at sea, not doing much in the grand scheme of things.
- Sorry Trevor, it's late and I'm struggling here -- not that you know who this character is.
Tyler = Theon Greyjoy:
- Rides the Starks coattails and pisses them off when he double crosses them (whenever Tyler sits next to me or Brady at the draft, he asks for help, and then still takes the players we want, even when we exclude said players from the list we help him with).
- Is a skinny fellow.
Rob = Petyr Baelish:
- Has lots of sneaky plans that gives me headaches.
- Doesn't seem formidable, but is a lot more dangerous than he seems (Who is Arian Foster Rob? You know randy moss is past his prime right Rob? You only picked this Gronkoski guy because of his last name right Rob?)
Well there you go, sorry for how long it took.