Sunday, December 30, 2018

Week 16: A week late, but worth the wait?

Last Sunday was championship Sunday, but I was driving for about 11 hours that day, and wasn't able to write a post about it.  The next day was Christmas Eve, and then Christmas, and the day after that I more or less forgot/had a few minor plans.

Brady ended up winning by 9 points, and had to sweat out Sunday night as Mahomes and Carson tried to bring Matt back to victory.  Brady was led by his stalwarts that he depended on all year long: Damian Williams, Jamaal Williams, and Kirk Cousins -- and by that I mean Kirk Cousins had 7 starts, D Williams had 2 starts and J Williams had 2 starts.

Matt was letdown by Gronk, he got 0 points (the 4th time he did that this year, not sure how many of them he was healthy for, and I don't care enough to check).  Otherwise, his team was solid.  Gronk getting his average this year (7.9 points) wouldn't have been enough to get Matt the win, so maybe that will give him some solace. 

I had Jocelyn occasionally check the score for me while we were driving, but I didn't have her check the rosters.  Before we left for the day, Matt had Jordy Nelson in his starting lineup, so when I saw that Brady was down 9 at the end of the day, I thought he would have to suffer through Monday night football, but then she noted how all of Matt's players had played and Brady had won.  I think I missed something like 60 group messages on WhatsApp.  Congrats to Brady on winning his first championship, and keeping Matt from being a two-time champion.

The draft order will be as follows: Ren, Up N Atoms*, TJ, Trevor, Rob, I am Batman**, Kyle, Tyler, Jordan, Skyler, Matt, Brady.

*This will be Tommy's team if Chad comes back, if Chad does not come back, it will be the new persons' draft spot.
** This will be Tommy's team if Chad does not come back.  If Chad comes back, this is his spot.

Now I will write my year in review, so if you don't want to read even more self-congratulations, feel free to leave now.

This season, I was in 5 leagues, I made the playoffs in all 5 of them.  I made the semifinals in 4 leagues (I missed the semifinals in my money/auction league), I made the championship game in 2 of my leagues (missed out on my brother's league as well as my main league that this blog post is about), and I won one championship (I lost the championship in the reddit league where the winner gets promoted, and I won in my dynasty league which was a 2 week game over week 16 and 17).

I got blown out in the reddit league, so I had no chance there. I got blown out in my money/auction league, so I had no chance there.  I made some dumb choices (like believing in Gronk) in my brother's league, but I had a chance there.  Had Keenan Allen not gotten hurt in the semifinals where I lost to Brady, and assuming Allen would have hit his season average (17 points -- which I believe would have happened given that Mike Williams scored 36 points that night), I would have beaten Matt in the championship game -- I swear I won't be bitter about that for years.  I won my dynasty league with some luck in that my opponent left Antonio Brown on his bench this week.  I also benefitted by big scores in my second weeks in both games since I was behind in week one in both of my matchups.

Now that all of fantasy is over, I will look forward to having fewer podcasts in my life.  Not that I don't enjoy them, but they were taking a lot of time, and for only 1 championship, I'm not sure it was worth all of the time.

Congrats to Brady on the championship, and everyone else on the fun season.  In a few months I will reach out about finding a replacement for Chad if he doesn't want back in, as well as a few potential rule changes, and picking draft pick orders.  Good season, and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment