Friday, December 20, 2019

UHSAA RPI Basketball

I have attempted to make the RPI for boys basketball after making one for football.  Basketball has proven to be much more difficult because of the number of teams and games, so I will no longer be able to publish the results on Power BI.  Instead, I will just give view access to a version of my google spreadsheet.  If too many people access it, it might cause the sheet to crash, or it might cause problems with maxpreps.  If that happens, I will delete the public version, and then find some other way to share my data.

As a disclaimer, I was able to get the football version very accurate to the official version.  I will not be able to do this here for various reasons -- but it should still be close.  I have tested 3A compared to the official data, and it's close enough that 4A, 5A and 6A should be reasonably close. If you would like to reach out and ask specific questions about the changes and accuracy, or any other question in general, feel free to do so.

I am posting the link through my blog so I can try and keep an eye on the numbers and see what happens to the spreadsheet.  I am also doing it as part of version control with my data source.  You don't have to access the sheet through my blog, but it would help me understand how many people are viewing it and when, and the sheet may be outdated if you don't check through the blog.

I will try to update this daily, but no promises.  Thanks for reading, here is the link below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mphv_85wPOwqI35CQ8JFZz7dOnn7xonJk8M7xoBOze0/edit?usp=sharing

Edit:

I realized I never explained how to use this sheet.  Most people who view it may think it's mostly nonsense in the front (which is true from a user perspective).  What you will want to do is find the tab for the classification you want to look at '6A Ranking', '5A Ranking', etc, or you can find the specific team you are interested in and look at their score that way.  Looking at the team will show you how everything is calculated and brought together.  Most people likely won't care about that, but you will be able to verify what data/games are being used.

No comments:

Post a Comment